Saturday 27 September 2014

Weekend breakfast and a small book review.


So, I received this book during the week. I have wanted Sweet Paul's Eat & Make book since, well, it was released this year. And while I've been waiting VERY impatiently for my paper copy of the 2014 Fall issue of Sweet Paul magazine to arrive (stupid slow international post), I satisfied my Sweet Paul cravings by buying the book (finally). I'm yet to have a proper read through (some wonderful stories of Paul's journey), but flicking through I found a heap of recipes I wanted to try. I am dying to make the baked doughnuts (and finally put my mini doughnut pan to good use), there is an amazing looking lasagne I want to try, a really nice sounding recipe for a Skagen Salad, and of course the World's Best Cake


The smoked trout salad really appealed to me. My partner is Swedish, and this just sounded so Scandinavian so I just had to try it for breakfast! And I was soooo not disappointed!


I modified the instructions a bit - I used less smoked trout, used more red onion and shallot (scallion).


I lightly cooked the onion and shallot so we didn't have that raw onion taste for the day. As much as I love raw onion and shallots, the after taste isn't the best. That light cook kept the crunch, but took that after taste away.  



I also used more celery than required, but the more veggies the better! There is also some dill and lemon juice in there, and the dill is really what makes this dish, because dill is amazing and one of my favourite herbs ever. 


Then you mix it all up with a few tablespoons of good quality mayonnaise and done! 
Next, boiling eggs and toasting the rye bread. There is an amazing sounding recipe for Finnish Rye Bread in the book but instead I bought a super amazing rye sourdough. We're really lucky in Australia so have some amazing artisan bread makers, so it's really easy to find really amazing breads of all sorts. The eggs are hard boiled and I was really happy with my egg timing - they were JUST right. That perfect orange-y tinge (because freerange eggs are the best) with that slight hint of moisture. Then it's just simply assembling and there you have it. The most amazingly delicious Scandinavian-style smoked trout breakfast! Will 100%, definitely make this again. My new go-to weekend breakfast!
Sooooo yum!
So! There you have it! One of the most delicious breakfasts ever! Can't wait to have it again....

No comments:

Post a Comment