Sunday 7 September 2014

On crafty-ness


Over the past couple of years, I have turned into a crazy craft lady. Yes, I may be 20-something, but already I'm well on my way to being a granny. What non-crafty people don't realise though is that craft is like, so hot right now.
I started off with quilting - my first quilt was made as a gift for my bf''s mum for Christmas a couple years ago. Since then I haven't had such a tight deadline to get a quilt done, so my next one, a granny square quilt, had been very, very slow. Have to cut some 300+ 2 1/2in squares, and I think I'm close to half cut, but I am taking it pretty easy.
Nice little pile of the California Girl range by Fig Tree Quilts for Moda (and a nice Tilda backdrop)
Went on to cutting some more of my fabrics for this today. I would really love to get started on sewing soon, but alas, heaps more fabric to cut. If I can at least get a few blocks sewn by the end of the year I'd be happy.
Close up of some Tilda fabric - seriously love this fabric!
As much as I love quilting, it can be a bit of a hassle to go to the table and cut fabric or sew after a long day. This is where I'm really happy that I taught myself to crochet. I've seen so many amazing things on Pinterest, there are some incredibly talented people out there. So, I took a day over the Christmas holidays last year, and taught myself the basics in one day. Made one lap blanket which took up a few months, but now I'm 172 squares into a 224 square blanket. Might seem like a lot, but if I can knock off a few a day, I can get there pretty quickly. Then it's just a matter of joining and making a boarder and then I'll have a queen size bed crochet blanket!
Pretttttyyyyy
The thing I really, really love about crochet is how mindless it is. I can just pick it up (although colour selection now is getting quite slim - picking from my 20 colours, which combo I haven't done yet is thankfully easy thanks to my colour chart!) when I'm watching the tv after a long day. I just need to make sure I don't get cramps in my arm if I crochet for too long!


Mmmmm pretty colours.
My big problem is I just have way too many projects - in my head. I'll be working on one at a time, but I have so many ideas in my head and I just can't wait to start them! Once I'm done with this blanket, I have a really really cool idea for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment