Thursday 13 February 2014

On inspiration

I could really kick myself for how lax I've been in blogging, but alas, any time I have a great bloggy idea, it just slips through my fingers once I get back on my computer.
Today however, I've been having lots of thoughts (shocking, I know). Thoughts in particular about how happy I am with my career path.
While all jobs inevitably have their ups and downs, I am really happy that I went down the road of journalism.
It wasn't always my intention to go into the world of journalism, even though I did often think it would be super cool to be a music journo. Once upon a time, I had aspirations to become involved in the film industry. In which role, I don't think I ever really decided on as such.
When I was at Uni, I took a Music & Arts Journalism class, which basically changed my career direction. I had a wonderful tutor who complimented my work, and that was that. If I could ever offer advice to someone, it would be to really listen to someone who knows what they're talking about. I've had a couple situations in my life where I have done exactly this, and been happier for it.
Working on craft magazines has brought out a part of me that I never really knew was there. Now I'm immersed in a world that I hardly knew before, and had a small interest in. I see amazingly creative people doing amazing creative things and I find myself wanting to create.
Inspiration is a wonderful thing and it can come by total surprise, but the feeling of inspiration, that light bulb, that little flutter you feel, that happiness. (Or maybe it's just me?)
It's what I like to call "warm fuzzy feelings". It just makes you feel so warm and happy that you're smiling on the inside (and out), that you just want to squee and talk in a high pitched excited voice. (Or maybe it's just me? Probably is....)
Anyway, back to inspiration. I've been thinking a lot about what inspires me. Because I have a few different outlets for my creativity, I get inspired by a lot of different things. For my (fiction) writing, music is the big thing for me, sometimes other books or movies, more for the overall FEEL rather than ripping off someone else's work. For my craftiness, Pinterest is just, amazing. But in my line of work, personally and professionally, what I find really inspires me is a digital magazine called Sweet Paul. I just love this magazine to bits, it gives me so many fuzzy feelings and I've found it inspiring me with where I want to go in life. Might seem a bit weird, but just bear with me.
Any magazine that gives you warm fuzzy feelings is doing something right. This magazine, for me, is so perfect. It has a clear style and brand, it's top class, without being pretentious. It's homey without losing its class, its beautiful and just amazing. It makes me realise something about myself. I've changed in the last couple of years. What I would love to achieve one day is a product that I've crafted, that is me. Its about the product you produce and the feelings from it. Making something huggable (I so totally want to hug these magazines). I want to make huggable magazines. Huggable products. It isn't a feeling or desire I ever thought I would have. Whether I ever will get the chance, actually doesn't bother me too much. I want it, but I find that desire, that drive, satisfies that creative urge anyway. Just looking and feeling inspired at times is enough to quench those urges.
Anyway, that seems like a bit of random rambling but oh well, just felt like expressing some random thoughts. Now, to break up this wall of text, here is a picture of my crochet blanket progress from a little while ago. Made more progress on it now.
Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment